Congratulations, you are ready to add a new dog to your family! While the first thing that may catch your eye about an adoptable dog listed in Fido Love is a great photo, do not choose your new Fido friend based solely on looks.
The Question to start with before any others – is “what is the best type of dog for my lifestyle”? Adoptable dogs listed on Fido Love will often include “quick descriptions” to give new adopters an idea of how the rehoming family sees their dog best fitting into another family’s lifestyle.
If these responses match your desires for your pet’s personality and characteristics you will want to then scroll down and carefully read through the balance of the Fido profile to learn more about this dog as a prospective pet.
When you do, be sure to ask yourself these questions:
- Breed – Do a little research! Read through the Fido profile and note his personality traits and breed, if listed. Look up the breed online. Wikipedia gives a great general overview of dog breeds, personality traits, life span, and more.
- Time – How much time do you have to spend with your new pet? Where will the pet stay while you are at work? Does the pet’s activity level sync up with the amount of time you are able to spend with the pet?
- Family – Will the pet fit in with your family (children, other pets in the home, allergies, etc.)? What activities do you and/or your family enjoy? Will your new pet be able to participate?
- Cost – Estimate how much you will spend on food, veterinary, training (if applicable). If you do not currently have a vet, seek recommendations within your community and call for prices.
- Questions – Ask questions! After you have read through the profile and researched the breed, ask the current family any remaining questions.
Taking these factors into consideration will help you find a great Fido for you and your family – a dog that not only looks appealing in photos, but one who will also thrive in the kind of home that you can readily provide. Learn more about the Fido Lifestyle Types that could fit into your family.